Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Sedum Propagation - Spring check-in

Last fall I blogged about easy ways to propagate sedum perrenials.  This is one of my more populat blogs. I hope you all are having success with the techniques I described.

I'm placing here the results of the direct placement and controlled grown cuttings you see in the prior blog.  Just a few months inside or our in the wintery cold - and the sedums are popping back to life!

Direct Set Sedum Cuttings - after over wintering
The cuttings to the right were simply snipped from the host plant and plunged into the dirt. I did not use rooting hormones or any treatments. Neither did I check on or water these cuttings. Here you can see in early April just a few months later, a) the old stalk which just looks like a stick, and b) the sprouts of new sedum plants are peeking out. Of the handful I propped in this manner, about 60% are growing. That's acceptalbe to me.





Controlled Growth Sedum Cuttings
Here on the left hand side are the cuttings that I placed into small pots and kept inside for the winter. These were placed in a cool room and did not have much sunlight. Further, I pretty much ignore them, watering more in the springtime.  You can see that as in the case with the direct set cuttings above, the original stalk has died away giving it's energy to the new plants which sprout from the roots below dirt. The controlled growth cuttings are a bit larger since they were warmer and more gently treated. If I had placed them in a better environment inside - they would probably be even larger.

Anyway you go - it's a fast and easy way to create more plants for no cost. These go into my guerilla garden this weekend!

Happy Day!

Teresa Marie

1 comment:

  1. I had my first outbreak of oral Herpes nearly 4 years ago. Of all the horribleness, the pain and itching were unbearable. I literally freaked out as my general physician said that it had no cure. The outbreaks were not that frequent initially, but every time I'd fall sick, it would resurface. I had so many sores last year that I was desperate to try anything to get rid of them. 6 months ago a friend suggested that I try Dr Alabi herbal remedies, I did really ordered the product and started using it. I'm so relieved to say that I've not had even one outbreak and I was tested negative by my doctor. I'm feeling great from within. I truly endorse this product, it really works. You can contact him on Email:dralabicurehome1@gmail.com or WhatsApp: +2348050634446
    https://www.facebook.com/dralabiherbalhomeremedies/
    https://www.facebook.com/Dr-Alabi-herbal-home-1291179531035184

    ReplyDelete