Tuesday, February 25, 2014
Tuesday, February 18, 2014
I visited the Orchid Show at the Chicago Botanic Garden. This was a wonderful respite from the snowy day. As a friend said - this winter White is the new Black. :D I very much enjoyed seeing all the bright colors of the orchids. I recall the first time I ever saw an Orchid was at the Joaquin Antonio Uribe Botanic Garden of Medellin, Colombia. I was 12 years old and the 34 acre botanical garden in the middle of the city was so impressive! More so was the massive collection of orchids in the unique architectural space called the Orchidiarium. All I can say is that it was simultaneously overwhelming, impressive and memorable. While the exhibit at the Chicago Botanic Garden pales in comparison - it's much easier to get to than Colombia, and well worth the visit!
|Chicago Botanic Garden Orchid Show - 2014|
Monday, February 17, 2014
This weekend I visited the Orchid show at the Chicago Botanic Garden - which made me think about updating the list of events that culminate in the beginning of spring and ethnic fest etc. in Chicago.
As I did last year, here is a listing of events from Iowa - Wisconsin - Illinois - Michigan. All links and information was accurate as of 2/17/2014 If you find other shows or errors herein please note in comments! Thank you
- Chicago - Lincoln Park Conservatory Spring Flower Show - January 26 - May 12
- Chicago - Garfield Park Conservatory Spring Flower Show - February 1 - May 12 (plus show for Morther's day in renovated Show House)
- Grand Rapids, MI - Great Lakes Floral Exposition – March 7-9 (For Industry Professionals floral design. It could smell great and be interesting)
- Orlanda, FL - March 6 - March 5 - May 18 The Epcot International Flower & Garden Festival will be held at the Epcot Theme Park in Orlando, Florida. This is a great show for any flower lover! If you just have to get away from the cold!
- Indianapolis, IN – Indiana Flower and Patio Show – March 8 – 16, Indiana Fairgrounds
- Milwaukee, WI - Quilt Show - Putting the Pieces Together, March 14-15, Mt. Mary College
- Chicago Flower and Garden Show - March 15-23
- Olbrich Botanic Gardens, Spring Flower Show
- Macy Flower Show, Tower of Flowers
- MacKenzie Center Maple Syrup Festival
- Macy's Chicago Flower Show- March 23 - April 6 This year's theme, the Secret Garden
- Glencoe (Chicago Botanic Garden)- Midwest Daffodil Society Show Mar 23-24
- Naperville – The Festival of Colors – April 5 (expand cultural horizons by participating in this traditional festival, I think it expands in attendance a bit each year. Never been. Photos on the site look like a rave with paint. Fun.)
- Glencoe (Chicago Botanic Garden) - Illinois Orchid Society Spring Show April 6-7
- Glencoe (Chicago Botanic Garden) - Midwest Daffodil Society Show April 26 - 27
- Pella, IA – Pella Tulip Festival – May 1-3 (I oworked in Pella and was there for part of the Tulip Festival, stayed at a great B&B. City gets really crowded and lots of excitement. Book accommodations early if you plan on going.)
- Holland, MI – Tulip Time Festival – May 3 – 10 (Still naot made it here. This year Bill Cosby is on the list of entertainers! WOW Oddly never made it to the Holland Tulip Festival, been through Holland area and love antique shopping on the Red Arrow Highway!)
- Waupun, WI – Horicon Marsh Bird Festival – May 9-12 (I have Horicon Marsh on my list of places to see on road trip or weekend get away. lots of Birding activities here.)
Today I'm recalling those beautiful orchids and thinking of spring!