My prior seed starting efforts included clayless seed bombs (prior post here) as well as some home-made seed starting trays (post here) This year I will again make up the seed bombs as they worked so well in the guerrilla garden. However, I am adding commercial seed trays because of the volume of seeds I am starting this year.
|Potting Station from old Bakers Rack|
My selections of seeds for this year and plan for starting them are:
Flowers to start in trays: I will start these around March 10th (6-8 weeks before last frost) assuming that our last frost will actually be earlier this year (Damn Climate change)
- Echinacea, Warm Summer US7,982,110 - Exceptional 1st -yr flowering cone-flower from seed.
- Coleus, Chocolate Covered Cherry Non-fading bald pattern for sun and shade.
- Coleus, Giant Leaf Mix - Mix of texture and color
- Asclepias, Butterfly Weed- Prolific bloomer. My white butterfly bush needs friends ;)
- Carnation, Giant Mix - My grandmother used to grow carnations, let's see if I can too!
- Tradescantia, Blue & Gold - Wildflower is easy to grow, I liked the vibrant golden foliage with gentian-blue flowers which will be a good match to the purple ones I already have
- Red Hot Poker - so hope these take, I love the Shock & Awe drama this brings to the garden
- Blue Flax - interesting for the border
- Holly Hock - a deep purple almost black color to mix with the pink ones I have already.
- Wing Begonias - these seeds are 2 years old, they are last priority to start in trays.
Vegetables to Direct Sow: To be completed approximately May 1st - once I get the vegetable garden roto-tilled and plan made (that's next on my list!) Might add some more veggie seeds/plants depending on what my girlfriend has for me.
- Chinese Cabbage, Pak Choi, Toy Choi Hybid; it grows fast so I will make several staggered plantings to enjoy over a longer period of time.
- On the Deck Sweet Corn - this is going to be the architectural element in my large containers this year!
This morning I'm singing "Come Rain or Come Shine" by Barbra :)