All you need is:
- A glass or vase
- A piece of paper (8x11 or larger)
- Tape (any kind)
- A piece of fruit or vegetable peels
|Simple Paper cone with hole at the bottom|
1) Put the fruit or vegetable into the bottom of the glass
2) Roll the paper into a cone shape so that it fits easily into the glass, flush with all sides, while still keeping a hole at the smallest end of the cone (see picture below)
3) Tape the side of the paper cone so it holds it's shape
4) Place the cone in the glass.
5) Sit back and relax while the trap catches the flies
6) Empty the trap and change the fruit out periodically.
The flies go into the glass to get at the fruit and cannot get out!!! For the most success you must minimize other distractions for the fruit flies - clean kitchen, no fruit or vegetable waste available.
Every day, and sometimes a few times a day, I release the fruit flies outside. I also periodically replace the fruit at the bottom. The older the fruit gets, the more aroma it puts out that attracts the fruit flies. But I also worry that as the flies might be laying eggs in the fruit - I could be generating them as well. So I like to change it out!
|Completed Fruit Fly Catcher|
|Success - lot of trapped flies :)|
I have a bumper crop of cucumbers - anyone have recipes?